Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Blogroll

I greatly appreciate extensive blogrolls. Nevertheless, I lack the patience and fortitude to make one myself. So my blogroll consists of blogs I like, people I have virtually met, that kind of thing. The fact that I have them on my blogroll does not necessarily mean I agree with them, especially regarding politics. I am not including personal blogs, those that are generally just someone writing about their life and family. My reason for this is that I think personal blogs are...well...personal, and should only be shared with close family and friends. If I add more blogs after a while, I'll try to update this post accordingly.

So, first, Bede's Library. You definitely should check this out. Written by James Hannam, who's in the last throes of earning his Ph.D., and who has written a book entitled God's Philosophers: How the Medieval World Laid the Foundations of Modern Science. Click on over to read the introduction and first chapter of the book, and register your interest in seeing it published. [Update (13 Sep.): James has made Bede's Library into a group blog, renamed it Quodlibeta, and invited yours truly to participate. Yay!]

Claw of the Conciliator is a blog dedicated mostly to science-fiction and the religious elements therein. It's a great source, and is partially responsible for rekindling my interest in SF after abandoning it for nonfiction in my early adulthood. Check out the important posts on his sidebar. Written by Elliot, who I have met online via my other blog. The name is the title of a novel by Christian SF writer Gene Wolfe, which is part of The Book of the New Sun series. Elliot also writes A Mixture of Gravity and Waggery, which is more general.

Cosmic Log is written by Alan Boyle. He focuses on science, especially space science (something I'm very interested in), but also comments on other issues. It's a good starting place for scientific news and discoveries. I'm linking to him in lieu of having a long list of science blogs.

Victor Reppert is a philosopher who recently wrote the book C. S. Lewis's Dangerous Idea, which defends the "Argument from Reason" (link updated 18 June 2008). I've corresponded with him, because my Master's thesis was on this subject. Dangerous Idea 1 is his main blog, where he writes about philosophy, theology, Lewis, politics, etc. His brief description of his blog is very similar to mine, so I can only conclude that he read mine, invented time-travel, and went back a couple of years to beat me to the punch. Dangerous Idea 2 is dedicated exclusively to the argument from reason. To learn more about it, read Reppert's book and C. S. Lewis's book Miracles.

On the Vig is written by my friend Chris Snethen who got me into blogging in the first place. It's about sports, politics, and anything else he wants it to be about.

I found Raskolnikov, Lost in the Cosmos by doing a Technorati search to see if anyone links to my other blog. After reading him a few times, I was hooked. Besides, how can you not like a guy who names himself after a Dostoyevsky character?

Wayfaring Stranger is written by Tyson, who I met him online a few years ago, after he linked to me. He's a father and a pastor, and has prayed for me during some hard times. Very nice guy. His blog is mostly concerned with religious issues from a specifically Christian perspective.

Jacob Longshore writes the Wordverter blog. We know each other face to face, because we study at the same school (although he's finishing up his Ph.D. while I'm just starting mine). Also a very nice guy, and an expert on C. S. Peirce (pronounced "purse"). His blog's appearance is very similar to mine. Again: time-travel.

Update (3 Sep 2009): I've added Culture, Ideas and Comic Books, David Thompson's blog, and Just Thomism by James Chastek. See here.

Update (20 Mar 2010): I've added Friendly Humanist, Laodicea, Maverick Philosopher, Mike Flynn's Journal, and the Prosblogion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks. I can't remember how I first hit upon your blog; it was probably a link from somewhere else. Anyway, keep up the good work.