Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cool

This is old news, but I've been out of the loop for a while. Dave Mustaine, the lead guitarist and lead singer of Megadeth, became a Christian several years ago.

"There was a moment of reckoning when my arm was destroyed, and I was up on this hill, and there was a cross at the top of it," Mustaine said. "It was just one of those thoughts -- I was baptized a Lutheran, brought up as a Jehovah's Witness, got into witchcraft and Satanism and practicing black magic. My wife was in another thing, and I was thinking that was a cult, so I'd gone back to being a Jehovah's Witness, but I wasn't happy.

"Looking up at that cross, I said six simple words -- 'What have I got to lose?' And my whole life has changed. It's been hard, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I'd rather ... go my whole life believing that there is a God and find out there isn't than live my whole life thinking there isn't a God and then find out, when I die, that there is."

I'm glad we have at least one heavy metal guitarist who's read Pascal. My favorite song of his -- Mustaine's, not Pascal's -- is Symphony of Destruction.

1 comment:

Ignorance said...

I also read about his conversion post rem, but it already caused a controversy since he didn't want to play on a festival with the Greek black metal band Rotting Christ.

By the way, here is a long but non-exhaustive entry about Christianity in mainstream metal on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_mainstream_metal